Thursday, May 24, 2012

Wrinkled Flower Coloured With Distress Ink Tutorial

Hello.
A few requests on how I made the large flower in my previous card.  This would be sooo...much easier if I have a camcorder..LOL, but since I don't here goes...


Not sure what to call the flower, but wrinkled flower is as good as any, I guess...LOL.

Materials:
white cardstock
flower dies/punches (preferably 5/6 petals)
distress ink pad and dabber
spray bottle filled with water
1/8-inch circle hand punch
piercing tool
medium size brad
half pearl

The paper I used is my basic white cardstock that I used for my cards, AC Cardstock 80 lb.--I think this is similar to your Bazzill cardstock.

You need some kind of flower dies or punches.  Doesn't matter which one as long a you have a succession of 4 different sizes.  I used Crealis Creative Flower No. 06 dies. A few other that comes to mind are the Spellbinders Rose Creations dies, Spellbinders Posy Patch dies, EK Success Retro Flower punches.  You only need one of each size, but if you want a fuller flower, you can include more layers.



With your distress ink pad (any colour you want) and dabber, dab some ink in the centre of each flower.   (I made my own dabber by wrapping a makeup sponge around a piece of dowel and tied it in place with a string--ingeneous, eh? LOL)



Stack the flowers together and punch a hole in the centre with your hand punch, or you can pierce a hole with your piercing tool.



Push the brad through the hole and secure the brad.  Arrange the layers so the petals are staggered.



By spraying water from your spray bottle, dampen the flower enough so you can see the colour from the ink start to spread/bleed.  I think I sprayed 3 spritzes at the back, 3 on the front and a few more between the 2nd and 3rd layers.



Starting with the smallest flower, bring the petals up around the brad.  I used my piercing tool for this one.  Do the same with the other layers.  And then scrunch/squeeze them together as shown below. Squeezing it tightly will give you the wrinkles and will further spread the ink.






With your piercing tool uncurl the petals one by one.



Shape the flower the way you want it to look when dry, eg. spread the petals if they are too scrunched up, curl the ends up a bit, etc. Let dry completely--this will take a while.



When completely dry, remove the brad.  Glue the layers together.



Place a large half pearl in the centre as your flower centre.  You can use other type of flower centres or even just leave the brad in place.


And voila!  You're done!!!


Here are pictures of some flowers using different distress ink colours, different dies and different numbers of petals.  For the flowers at the top I used 4 petals.  The flowers at the bottom are fuller and for those I used 2 layers of the largest-size petals.

Using the Crealis Creative Flower No. 06 dies...

colored in aged mahogany, dusty concord, pine needles, wild honey  
A more 3-D view to show the layers...



Using the Spellbinders Rose Creations dies...

colored in victorian velvet, broken china

Using the Spellbinders Posy Patch dies...

colored in barn door, rusty hinge

Happy creating!


55 comments:

Trina said...

What a fabulous tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you Norma! All these flowers are gorgeous and you make me want to put in an order for aaalll those dies. Love your technique and I am definately going to try making these. And I'm pinning to pinterest! ;) Thanks Norma! hugs, Angela

Julie said...

Fab tutorial Norma,I've never tried spritzing to blend out the colours,in fact I've only ever coloured the edges of my petals,will definitely give this a go! Thank you for sharing! X

Denise said...

Fantastic tutorial - thank you so much, the flowers are gorgeous xx

Olga V. said...

Norma, thank you so much for sharing your tips on handmade flowers! I've admired them on your cards for a while, and very grateful for the tutorial! Will be trying your technique shortly! Thanks again!!!

Danielle Champagne said...

OMG Norma, this is just fantastic, so very beautiful. thank you for sharing... thank God I found my fingers back and I can type, and tell you about it LOL. I simply adore them!!!!!!have a nice day. Hugs.

cabio's craft corner said...

Beautiful flowers and awesome tutorial Norma. Can't wait to try them out :-)
Hugs,
Cabio

Zoe said...

These are absolutely stunning Norma!! Thank you! xo

Cami said...

WONDERFUL tutorial, Norma! Great step by step pics and thanks also for showing the different dies you used. These flowers are beautiful and I can't wait to try them after I order my dies. I was just going to order my flowers from you! Just kidding! But at least I can see the different styles by the dies you've used. I know it took at lot of time to put this together, so thank you very much Norma!

Hugs,
Cami

Christy Designs said...

wow... Thank you very much for your great tutorial !

Cheryl said...

Stunning flowers Norma, thanks so much for your fantastic tutorial.
Hugs Cheryl

mgoll88 said...

wow, what fantastic flowers, looks great!!!
Thabnks for the workshop

LG
Michaela

Janine said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to create a fabulous tutorial. The flowers are absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to try it.
Have a lovely day.
Hugs, Janine xx

Frouwkje said...

Hi Norma,
Thank you so much for the workshop. I'm going to really try them out
Frouwkje xxx

XxJULESxX said...

thank you Norma! these are gorgeous! guess what im doing very soon? lol!!!

Ani said...

Gorgeous flowers! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Frances said...

Wonderful tutorial, Norma, Thanks for sharing, Going to try this on the weekend, hugs, Frances

Laura said...

Norma,

Thank you so much for this tutorial! You're flowers are always so pretty. I love the fact that you showed us how to make our own ink dauber from a makeup sponge.

♥ Laura C.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely brilliant Norma, Thanks so much for the awesome tutorial, love your flowers
Hugs julie P

Suzan L said...

Hi Norma, Thank you for the wonderful tutorial!! Before I even read your posting, I saw the dabber you had made and thought where did Norma find that from. I'm going to have to try to make some of the dabber and the beautiful flowers!! Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs,
Suzan

Wendy said...

These are beautiful. I really must try them. Thanks for sharing.

Joyce said...

Do you have a source for the Crealis creative flower no 06 die? Somewhere in Canada or the States???

♥♥RubyM:)♥♥ said...

OMG LOVE YA FOR SHARING YOUR GORGEOUS FLOWER DEMOS!!!

Ruby

Romina Nahata said...

OMG !!they are crazily beautiful !!

Andrea said...

absolutely brill thanks for sharing your tips and skills love the dauber idea I will hopeful get to try them out a Xmas as I know Santa is
bringing me me a grand calibur for christmas(hubby got it yesterday at C+C) teehee ,...i cant wait !!
thank you
x

Sue said...

WOW!!!! Such a FAB tutorial. Thank you so much

Sue

Vivi Casale said...

what a fabulous tutorial! thank you so much!
xx

Molly Downing said...

Thank you so much, you make it look so easy...I am definitely going to gather up my courage and give this a try...thank you!

Monia - Monika Jakubowska said...

Beautiful flowers, I must try to make that kind of flowers. Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

How awesome! I need to try this now. Very beautiful.

Trudi said...

Really lovely idea. Will certainly have to give this one a try. Your cards are beautiful.

julie said...

Gorgeous flowers thank you x

kunda said...

lovely tute ..outcome is awesome

koala said...

Hello, I was just doing blog surfing, and found your tutorial.
This is what I wanted to learn !!!
What a WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL flowers !!!
Thank you for sharing !!! (^o^)/"""

Unknown said...

Wow!! I bought the grand spellbinder set because I am making so many flowers for the bridal shower and wanted more variety. But I have to admit, I have never seen them look so good!!! Love the idea of spritzing with water!! Really makes them look amazing!!
Thanks bunches for more ideas on getting different looks of flowers!
Your amazing
Jackie P

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this. The flowers are beautiful. I'm going to try this without a doubt. Brilliant !!
Jo xx

Angela said...

What a wonderful tutorial! Thank you for sharing, Norma!

Cathy said...

Fantastic flowers Norma, you're tutorial is wonderful, thank you so much, Cathy x

Naomi (Sugar Brown) said...

Thank you for sharing this. Great idea and easy to follow.

Holly Young said...

so so so pretty!!!!!!!!

thanks for a fab tutorial!

ilovecrafts1 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
newfiecrafter(Marilyn) said...

thanks for a great tutorial your flowers are gorgeous

Unknown said...

Who needs a camcorder? Wonderful tutorial. Beautiful beautiful flowers!

Michelle Laulu said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Your flower technique and ingenious homemade dabber will certainly be used in my craftroom.

June JACKSON said...

I am so going to try this Norma. Off to the make up isle too! Thank you for sharing.

manishabisani said...

only distress ink can be used or anyother inkpad will also work..

CherylQuilts said...

How gorgeous, and what beautiful flowers!

Heather said...

Hi Norma, just found this post on Pinterest. How wonderful to find a straight forward tutorial with such a fabulous result. TFS....Brisbane, Australia.

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

I've always admired your fabulous flower Norma, this tutorial is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing it. Hugs, Wends xoxo

Zulita said...

Muchas gracias Norma, muy bien explicado el tutorial, amo las flores, estàn bellísimas, saludos desde Costa Rica..

CreativeAbuela said...

Norma, loved the flower tutorial. Planning on trying your lead and crafting some flowers. Wish me luck.

Unknown said...

so beautiful it is !

Unknown said...

thank you so much -looks so easy yet beautiful outcome! will definitely give it a go!

Judy

Daria said...

Thank you for the detailed tutorial.

Denise Fletcher said...

A great tutorial thats so easy to follow! Im going to try this today! Many thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...